.

.
Lily Lion Heart

Saturday 28 July 2012

Unusual Uncarina

Every summer I look forward to the blossoms of the beautiful caudiciform Uncarina roeoesliana. This Genus is in the Sesame family, and contains 11 species. They are endemic to Madagascar. Every Spring I lop off the current growing points, bring it outside in the cool greenhouse and let it regrow new shoots. In May or June I then put the pot on my stairs, where it enjoys full sun.  This year I have one growing point, and it has been blooming for over a month now. When you touch all parts of the plant (except caudex)you get this sesame like odour, quite harmless, but strong. The seed capsules are odd looking, and have hooks or horns on them. The lovely deep yellow flowers only last a couple of days, and then fall off onto the pot surface. I always think they have so much more life left in them. Pity really as they are breathtaking. Life is often fleeting! Madagascar is on my bucket list of countries to travel to for a botanical trip. Very strange oddities indeed!




No comments:

Post a Comment