.

.
Lily Lion Heart

Saturday 20 April 2013

Tussilago farfara -Coltsfoot

This is one of Ontario's native plants, albeit introduced from Europe. It has a wide range in Eastern North America, and blooms in Spring. It is a rhizomatous plant with 1 yellow flower head atop a scaly stalk. I look forward to seeing them emerge each year as they have such as intense, rich yellow colour only opening with the sunshine. The common name 'Coltsfoot' refers to the supposed resemblance of the leaf to a colt's foot. They can be invasive , however swathes of them are quite welcoming to see. The leaves are produced once the flowers goes to seed. The Latin name 'tussis' (cough) alludes to the plants reputation as a cure for coughs. An extract of fresh leaves can be used for making cough drops, and the dried leaves can be steeped for tea.

3 comments:

  1. I photographed a front yard with a cheerful mono planting of Coltsfoot a few days ago. I love it, but very happy that it's not in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new header. I know were your weakness lies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barry, Yes, I love tight buns! lol. I have some Coltsfoot in my driveway, that I enjoy every year, and I much prefer them there, rather than in the garden.

    ReplyDelete