.

.
Lily Lion Heart

Saturday 10 March 2012

Brazilian Bombshell-Sinningia Leucotricha

Sinningia is a genus of flowering plants in the Gesneriaceae family. It is named after a German gardener Wilhelm Sinning (1792-1874) who worked at the Botanical Gardens of Friedrich-Wilhelms University in Bonn.
There are approximately 65 species.  Their range is Central and South America with the greatest speciation is southern Brazil. They often grow on rocks or cliffs and most are pollinated by hummingbirds and bees.
This plant is truly a Brazilian Bombshell which is my name for it. I have had it for over 10 years and every year in late winter I enjoy the apricot-reddish tubular flowers of this stunner. I imagine the hummingbirds having a nectar feast. I give it a rest in November and leave it in my cool sunny west windowsill. By January the new growth appears and I begin to water again. As it is a tuberous plants it should be dormant some part of the year as it is in the wilds of Brazil nourishing itself from its tuber. I grow my raised to accentuate the caudex-like tuber. The inforescence is thick and silvery,as soft as the finest mohair.

1 comment: